Christians at the Palmyra church of Christ plead for a return to the religious practices and teachings of the New Testament. It is our desire to restore in the 21st century the originalChristian churches of the 1st century. It is our prayer that we may all understand and obey the will of God so that we can live with Him in Heaven.
Prior to 1871 , members of the church of Christ in Palmyra were few in number. On June 3, 1871, a meeting was held to organize the church. Below is an excerpt from the minutes of that meeting:
"At a meeting of the citizens of Palmyra and the vicinity to take measures to build a church of Christ house in the town of Palmyra, Harrison County, Indiana, held June 3, 1871. The size of the house to be 36X50 feet. Pulpit to be in front and raised two-thirds of the distance."
On June 17, 1871, the following minutes were taken:
"We the undersigned members of the church of Christ in and around the town of Palmyra agree to form ourselves into a congregation (to be called the church of Christ at Palmyra, Harrison County, Indiana) for the purpose of worshiping God, and keeping the ordinances of the Lord's House, taking the Bible as our only guide, believing it to be the only infallible rule of faith and obedience."
The present congregation still holds true to the above stated objectives of the church established in 1871. We offer services on Sunday and Wednesday evenings with several Bible studies available for all ages. We are also happy to offer home Bible studies at any time. Feel free to contact the elders, deacons, or preacher for more information.